Saturday, January 30, 2016

Rose Hamlin Tennis: Still Teaching


This was the photo of Rose Hamlin Tennis in her book
The School That Was: A School Marm's Tale

     On an afternoon, sometime in 1990, I was at my desk when Rose Hamlin Tennis walked into our newspaper office. I offered her a chair opposite me.  Rose, who passed way in September of 1995, needs no introduction to many readers, but if you are unfamiliar with her, she taught school for 35 years—from 1931 through 1967—with many of them spent at the Fowlerville High School and Junior High. I was among her legion of former students.

     I’m able to pinpoint the year she came into the office because it was shortly after the publication of The School That Was: A School Marm’s Tale. The book told of her early teaching career at various country schools in rural Fowlerville and nearby Antrim Township. A slim volume, it packed a lot of information about how those one-room neighborhood schools operated, the routines and responsibilities of a teacher,  recess activities, the different highlights of a school year including the Christmas pageant, and numerous anecdotes about her students and remembered events.

    It also contained several photos of the schools and the classes she taught, plus a very informative appendix with documents such as a Standard Teacher Contract and a Scholar’s (student’s) Monthly Report.  The book was partly a memoir, providing background on her grandparents and parents as well as highlights of her own childhood and partly an ode to this bygone era; a combination of nostalgia and  (like its author) a no-nonsense, practical history lesson.

    I had just done a feature article on Rose and her book for the newspaper, helping to promote it and also provide this biographical information. She had grown up on the family farm at the corner of Brimley and Herrington Roads in northwest Conway Township, the second of Bert and Emelie Brimley’s six children. She, along with her siblings, attended Dillingham School, as had her father.

    Rose graduated from Perry High School in 1930, then attended Livingston County Normal where she earned the required 25 credits that allowed her to teach for three years.

    “During the three years of teaching I had to go to a teacher’s college and earn ten more credits to continue my certificate for three more years,” she wrote in her book, adding “I was simultaneously working for a bachelor’s degree and permanent certificate.”

    Her first year of teaching was in 1931-32 at the Beard School in southern Shiawassee County. She remained there until 1934 and over the ensuing years her schools included Croope, Fuller, Cole, Dillingham, and finally Benjamin from 1945 thru 1948. At that point, she decided to seek a position at the elementary school in Fowlerville. She would go on to teach classes at the junior high and high school level.

     Back then she was known as Mrs. Hamlin. In her book she relates that her marriage to Willard Hamlin took place in the summer of 1933, adding, “We kept our marriage a secret until Christmas vacation. At that time, married women teachers were not hired. We were afraid that I would be asked to resign if they knew of the marriage before school started. We badly needed my salary of $55 per month.”

    That school year was, of course, during the worst part of the Great Depression.

    I had Mrs. Hamlin for health class in seventh grade and again for physical science in eighth grade. This was from the fall of 1963 through the spring of 1965. Those two years, it turned out, were her last ones at Fowlerville. She went to Perry Public Schools, taught another two years, and then retired in June of 1967. She was widowed when I had her in school. She subsequently married Elmer Tennis.

     Mrs. Hamlin was a strict teacher. When she walked into the room at the start of class, if we students were jabbering away rather than studying (which was often the case), she stood there at the doorway with a stern look. Like a light switch being flicked off, the room went suddenly quiet.

     I recall in physical science that she threatened to flunk any of us who failed to properly define latitude and longitude. Latitude, of course, are the lines that run east-west around the globe, but are measured in degrees going north and south from the equator, while longitude are the vertical north-south lines you see on the globe, but are measured in an east-west direction, starting at the Prime Meridian in Greenwich, England.

     An east-west line measuring north-south distances and vice versa is, for the young mind, counter intuitive. I don’t know if she ever carried out her threat, but I made sure I remembered at least that much for the final test.

     Like many teachers, Mrs. Hamlin was an authority figure, with the demarcation between her and the students clearly marked. Thus, I did not see that much of her warmth and caring nature until I’d grown older. My initial realization came when I arrived home from Traverse City after learning that my sister had died. Ron Dillingham, a classmate and good friend, had driven up that morning to bring me back. Rose was coming out of our house when we pulled into driveway. She had been one of the first persons to arrive at our home to comfort my mother. She hugged Ron and I and told me how sorry she was about Carol’s death. At that moment, she ceased being a stern authority figure.

     Another encounter, this time with her fun side on display, occurred at our class’s 10th year reunion. We had a picnic at the Fowlerville Community Park, and she was the only teacher to show up of the several who had been invited. She joined in the reminiscing, shared the meal with us, and watched our softball game, making sure to cheer for both teams. What I realized from both of those episodes, and from my subsequent encounters with her, was that she still cared about us and still wanted to be part of our lives.

      During her time at Fowlerville, Rose had been the sponsor of the high school’s National Honor Society. In 1986 she and her husband started a scholarship with the aim of awarding $500 each to two graduating seniors who were members of this school service organization.

     About that same time my grandmother, Ilah Mae Horton—who had been presenting the Carol Horton Memorial Scholarship—suggested I should take over. So, during the next several years, Rose and I shared the stage at the annual high school Honors Night, along with the other presenters. In fact, one of Rose’s hopes, stated in the book and in the article I did with her, was that profits from The School That Was would help endow the scholarship fund.  I suspect that her hopes were higher than the profits, but her heart surpassed both.

     After Rose sat down on that long-ago afternoon, she handed me a letter. I read it and then she filled in the details.

   The man who wrote the letter had been one of her junior high students.

    “I remember him,” she told me “He had a rough family life. The parents didn’t have much money.  I helped him out as much as I could. He was having problems with his teeth, and I saw to it that he went to a dentist.”

    While she didn’t say so, I gathered that Rose had covered the bill.

     “The family didn’t stay in the community very long,” she added. “I never heard from him again until this letter.”

     As I recall the letter’s contents, the man explained that he had left Fowlerville, but continued having problems. He told her that after growing up, he had struggled with alcohol for many years, been divorced, and all in all had suffered a miserable life.  

    “I’ve straightened things out,” he added, indicating that he was married again and had a steady job.

     “I think you knew, when I was your student, that my family life was not the best,” he said.

    He recalled the kindness Rose had shown him, taking him under her wing, probably protecting him as best she could from the teasing and taunts of his fellow students.

    The power of the letter, its purpose for being sent, reaching as it did across the intervening years, was to tell her something important. “Through all of those years of struggle, remembering how you’d helped me, how you cared, kept me going,” he said. “That memory was what I hung onto it. It’s what saved me. I wanted you to know that.”

     We sat there, on each side of the desk. I offered a comment along the line that it must be pretty gratifying to be told this. I wasn’t sure what else to do. Rose didn’t ask me to do a news story, and I didn’t offer.

     I wondered since then what she was thinking when she got up from the chair, still holding the letter, and left. Was she disappointed at my tepid response? Was she hoping I’d offer to do an article? Was she hesitant to ask because she thought an article might seem boastful and needed my reassurance?

    I’ve also wondered about my own hesitation. Did I feel I’d already done a feature on her and that was enough? Was I busy with other work and not eager to take on another task? Was I waiting for her to ask?

    All I know for sure, all of these years later, is that I said nothing and let her walk away.

     I’m well aware, thanks to hindsight that I screwed up by not making a copy of the letter, getting more information, and doing a story. I compounded the error by not calling her when she was still alive and saying, “Remember that letter, let’s do a story about it.”

    I’ve made my share of mistakes over the years and learned long ago that despite the regrets and guilt, you eventually have move on. This lapse in judgment, however, has kept nagging at my conscience, demanding a remedy.

    So here it is.

    I’m pretty sure that Rose, in the years after her retirement, received plenty of accolades from her former students. I have no doubt that she was showered with praises of how she had shaped and influenced them and how she had served as a role model. And I’m guessing she was flattered by these testimonies and that they served as a source of personal satisfaction.

    In the final chapter of her book, entitled “Legacy of a Schoolmarm”, she said as much, writing, “The greeting cards, wedding, graduation and alumni invitations, even the casual hello, kisses and handshakes I have received since my retirement have added to my joys of teaching and to my enjoyment during my retirement.”

   But this letter was something different. Something more profound, more universal, and of more significance. It told of how a teacher, by caring enough and going out of her way to help, had served as lifeline for a young boy and continued doing so as he became a man; how the memory had kept him afloat, given him the means and inspiration to survive until he finally reached a safe shore.

    As I now report this story, having gained experience and possibly a little understanding, I do not believe Rose shared this letter for personal glorification, although it must have been immensely gratifying. My guess is that she was hesitant, maybe fearful that publicizing the contents might seem boastful, and thus waiting to see what my thoughts were. She may have even debated about coming to the office, but decided that this letter offered a valuable lesson. Even in retirement, she was still a teacher.

    Had I reacted as I should have and done the article, it would have shown the power of kindness; how--when any of us lend a helping hand, offer an encouraging word, or show a caring concern--there’s no telling what this might mean to the person on the receiving end of that help, encouragement, and understanding. The article would have illustrated that what seems a small gesture to us, might have an enormous impact on someone else, especially a young boy or girl.

    I know the article would have said all of that (and much more) because if she walked into the office today and showed me that letter, based on what she’d told me and what I knew of her, that’s how I’d write it.

    Rose had been a teacher for 35 years. She was proud of her profession. In the final chapter of her book, she expressed this conclusion: “Reflecting back on my years of teaching, both in rural schools and later in Fowlerville elementary and high schools, I know I would not have been happy with any other career. I had the opportunity, working in small town schools, to become involved in the lives of my students as many teachers cannot today.”

    This letter served as a validation of her career and how she had approached it. Students mattered to her. On a larger scale, it reminds us of the enormous influence a teacher can have on a student. That potential to positively impact young people was true back then, is true today. Teachers matter.

    Rose Hamlin Tennis was an exceptional lady, an extraordinary teacher. And even though she has been gone for over 20 years, she’s still teaching ; still providing us with lessons of life and learning through the legacy of her book The School That Was, the memories she left us, and now (hopefully) with the story of this letter.









No comments:

Post a Comment